Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Blog Post 12

This assignment required a lot of thinking! After putting some thought into what Dr. Strange was asking I came to this conclusion that an appropriate assignment would have been something like this:

blogging

Assignment
Blogging is the bulk of the EDM310 course. As an educator, will you incorporate blogging into your classroom? Why or why not? If you choose to, then what role will it play in your curriculum? How often do you see your students blogging? Give a detailed explanation of how it will be used in your classroom with the subject or grade level you wish you teach.

My response:

Being in EDM310 has redefined my idea of blogging. I had a blogger account and used it for social blogging prior to this class but now I see it's significance for educational purposes. I can honestly say today that I can't see my classroom without it. My major is Secondary Education Language Arts so I can teach English to high school students. I would love to be able to go to other countries and teach English, so no matter what route blogging will still be a very important role. If I were to teach high school grammar and literature to students blogging would be very key in the class room. In a literature course students would blog a summary of what they learned from the story they read. This would count as a participation grade or so I am thinking. Sharing a summary through blogging would be very beneficial for several reasons. One being the students could see one another's thoughts on what they read and also comment on each other's thoughts. They would be in essence building a network by sharing ideas and gleaning from one another. Blogging would also be beneficial in grammar because students could do certain blog assignments pertaining to the part of speech they are learning or post progress on papers they are in the process writing. Final drafts could be posted on their blog page and could easily be edited and as a teacher I could read the ones posted and encourage them in their process. If I were to teach overseas, things would be similar because blogging would be a very beneficial part of the curriculum. The students would be learning English so they could do daily assignments as a journal entry. This would help them apply the English they are learning in a fun, creative, and challenging way. It would be compelling because they could write about what they want with the exception of some specific assignments. Because of this, the students will want to use the English they are learning and they will also be able to read other blogs which will help understand English more efficiently. So blogging is very important and will not play a minor role but will be something that I would love to have as a fundamental in my classroom to complement the subject I teach.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I really like your image in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,

    I think your blog post idea was a great idea. I think it’s important for us as future teachers to think ahead about how we could incorporate blogging into our classrooms. This class has already made me think about that very same issue many times. I would like to be a math teacher and have wondered what types of blogging assignments I might come up with for my students regarding mathematics. I think that other classes, such as English, might lend itself to a better variety of blogging assignments. I enjoyed reading about how you would approach blogging in your classroom. You have some great ideas! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie,

    You hit the nail on the head about blogging and its benefits. My question for you is ... are there any cons to blogging and if so can you tell us what they are and how to overcome or compensate for them?

    ReplyDelete