Thursday, October 7, 2010

First summary on my PLN

Personal Learning Network (PLN)

After watching the YouTube video last week of the 7th grader's personal learning network I gained a greater understanding of how to create one, it's importance, and what a PLN even was. While reading the instructions for the project, I came across a website called symbaloo to create my very own PLN. What I have below is called a webmix. I have it organized in four different sections as of now. The first in the top left corner are tiles that I use for educational purposes. Like for example, in EDM 310 I use blogger, gmail, google docs, wordle, and google earth. In my English/Lit classes I use the dictionary tile, Wikipedia, encyclopedia, and the Purdue tile. Having all of these grouped together allows for quick and easy access to the sites that help me the most in my classes. I can go to this site, and use it as a base for all of the other sources that I use. I also have a social corner, in the top right hand side. This includes facebook, twitter, skype, picasa, apple, and amazon. So whether I want to talk with friends, look at pictures, or find some great book deals, I can access it all from one point... even while studying. In the bottom right hand corner are more business type tiles, such as my bank account information, my sky miles information with Delta, and the national news with CNN. This corner also has some generic tiles that symbaloo webmix offers. In the bottom left hand corner are more personal and informative tiles, such as weather, search, espn, and fitness. This is more of a random section. 

 So far I have really enjoyed it because it acts as a personal homepage in a way, with all of "your stuff!" You can make it as educational , sociable, random, or business oriented as you want. How you set it up all depends on preference. It's a great asset to have, because it helps me to stay organized and work efficiently. Plus it's very cool. I have only had an opportunity to work with it for a short time now, but can't wait to add more tiles to it and use it more for both education and personal purposes. 
I love my Personal Learning Network so far! 


personal

No comments:

Post a Comment