Friday, October 29, 2010

Additional Assignment #3

sir ken robinson

Sir Ken Robinson's presentations are astounding. I really enjoyed the RSA Animate version. It definitely brings to life the points he is trying to make. 
One of the most important things that Sir Ken Robinson discussed was the "ADHD epidemic." I strongly agree with what he stated and I have also heard other experts mention similar ideas in regards to ADHD. Kids are surrounded by fast pace technology, computers, televisions, and many more things, so of course when they are stuck in a classroom, it will become somewhat "boring" to them. Rather than educators adapting to the more fast pace technological advances, they have settled for sending kids to the doctor to be diagnosed with a disorder. It's easy to give a kid medicine rather than really letting the needs of the students be the motivation for how you teach, but we aren't in it for what's easy. 


I agree for the most part with everything he says. He seems to be very on target with his research and bases a lot on what he has personally experienced.  Although I do agree with most and do believe that education needs to be re-defined I don't believe education is a bad thing. At times in the video it seems that education is used in a derogatory manner. For example when discussing divergent thinking and the measuring of longitudinal study, he shows that as one gets older their divergent thinking decreases. He says "education happens." Education in and of itself isn't a bad thing. I think at the core it is good but it needs to be redefined and transformed so that it will become relevant to today's students. This will definitely prevent the ADHD plague and mentality but will definitely cause action among teachers, faculty, peers, and parents. 


As far as the College of Education, I heard from a EPY professor here about why so many students are diagnosed with ADHD and it is exactly like what Sir Ken Robinson said.  In our society, going from the social norms into a classroom is like getting a sprinter who has been running all day to sit on a bank a fish, he would be bored and going absolutely crazy inside. As far as the similarities in disagreements from what I have been taught here, I don't know if there are any yet. I would love to show some professors this video and see what they agree or disagree with. 


What can I do?
Wow! I hope to make my classroom interactive and hands-on. Money will always be  a hindering factor in education but we must be able to work with what we are given. I hope to let the needs of my student's be the motivation for what and how I teach. I hope to incorporate hands-on activities so the students will stay engaged. It is my goal to not even give the students a chance to get bored, not by overloading them with homework, but by giving them the keys to tap into their creativity and letting that facet inspire their learning habits. I can always control the atmosphere in my classroom and that's powerful. 
Hopefully this will eliminate what Sir Ken Robinson talks about as far as the monotonous education goes, and actually allow students freedom to be creative as well as eliminate this ADHD idea. 


I like this presentation a lot. It definitely gives you a new way to see what Sir Ken Robinson is saying. It makes you feel more engaged honestly rather than just looking into someone's face and it was definitely creative which matched the theme of what he was talking about. I would love to learn to make one of these videos. 
If I were to make a video I would probably be the idea generator and the author, maybe even the artist.. but not that good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment