Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Post #8

This is How We Dream Part 1 and 2

I found This is How We Dream Part 1 and 2  by Richard E. Miller very intriguing. Considering I am a secondary education language arts major and will be working specifically with reading and writing in various forms, what Richard Miller said is very vital in applying to my career. He discussed how this was a very important time in the area of literacy and writing. He noted the significance that we no longer  have to go to the library but have an unlimited and endless search engine and resources at our fingertips through technology. Because of this, we are at a very important time in the era of writing. Miller spoke of a time when he was asked to lecture at Vtech in memory of those who were murdered and in preparing for his speech never had to step foot into a library.

Every era in literature has been important, but with technology it is truly redefining writing and literacy as we know it. Every magazine, article, and book is available on the web. Not to mention the time that is saved because we don't have to scan a thousand pages but can type in a search engine precisely what we are looking for and then compose our thoughts on to paper and discuss that. Technology is an important asset in education and in many facets of life. I want to aim to keep up with it as an English teacher to better equip my students to do proper research and write astounding papers.


The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies 
I really enjoyed both the Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies. At times it is easy to feel like the girl did in the EDM for dummies video until you get a better understanding and handle on things, but this video added some humor along with some practical steps in order to do your best. The chipper series touched on several different things that we should do as a student in EDM 310 to help us be successful, but it was absolutely hilarious how Chipper always tried to find a loophole in the system. These videos were creative and definitely teach valuable lessons as well.

To Use the Smartboard or Not to Use the Smartboard
We were assigned to read two different articles written by teachers who were opposed to smartboards in the classroom. One was entitled Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards and the other was Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative. These two articles beg the question what technology actually enhances education and equips students? In these articles the authors argued that smartboards are basically a pricey addition to the classroom that doesn't allow for student interaction and doesn't do any better function than any other equipment they already have. Stanton mentions that a smartboard can by no means fix what is already broken. It is not the end all be all. He also says that it doesn't provide a better learning environment, doesn't enable feedback, and doesn't help with the work load.
I found two articles/websites providing a counter arguments discussing the usefulness and benefits of smartboards in the classrooms. They can be found at www.smartboards.typepad.com and also at Smart Boards are hands on- minds on.
Smartboard

I can't honestly make a fair assessment on which side I agree with because I have never used a smart board personally. I have seen one in a class and it was used during the lecture. It didn't seem to enhance the lecture much. From the articles that I read the arguments against it was very strong and I would have to lean more towards that. Not because a smartboard isn't a great invention, but because it just isn't what is needed in education. It's a lot of money that doesn't necessarily go towards the solution of what we have been learning.
I did learn that not all technology has to play a role in the lives of a student, some are beneficial in making them a networked student and some are not.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie,

    I also liked the Chipper and EDM310 For Dummies videos. I know I definitely felt just like that when I first started but you are right that once you get a grasp on everything, it all flows well. As for Chipper, I just laughed because I am sure that one reason they came up with that movie is because there are students who have actually used some of those excuses.
    When it comes to the Smartboard, I also have never used one and you are correct that the articles we read were really against them. However, I was talking with an elementary teacher about them over the weekend and she claims that if they are used right and people are trained right then the Smartboards are helpful. I do not think that I would like it because I agree with you, that it is a waste of educational money that could be used in other, more productive ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carrie,
    I had anxieties when I first started this class. The Chipper and EDM310 for Dummies videos cover all of this anxiety and makes it funny. I follow the instruction manual and feel like the class is definitely a journey. I love learning about all the new tools and I enjoy some of the Youtube videos we are asked to watch.
    As far as the Smartboards, I do not know anything about a smartboard. The only time I have seen one in use is in my Art class this year. I know they have a lot to offer, but as far as interacting with the children,they have a lot of flaws. I noticed in my child's class that the board is way too small and it makes it difficult for the children to see the work on the board. The boards at South are much bigger. I plan on learning more about the smartboard and using them to their full advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to make a judgment based on information alone. I am excited about the project and figuring it out for myself to see if it's something that I would like to add to my classroom or would rather teach without. I definitely don't want to limit myself and my future "class" by not broadening my knowledge on it, so the best way to do that would be learning all that I can and working with it to see if it's something that is in fact useful.
    Thanks for the input, it seems that you both have seen a smart board but haven't actually had an opportunity to work with them yet! I would be interested in hearing your perspective after your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabitha is correct. Some of what is in the Chipper series is based on actual written responses from EDM310 students.

    Are you ready to do a multimedia project, one which combines video, text and movies? I am thinking about giving it a try in Project 15.

    it won't be long and you will have used a smart board!

    ReplyDelete