Sunday, September 19, 2010

C4T #1

Hadley Ferguson has written two very informative posts. It was great to read and gain insight from an experienced educator. The first post that I read was entitled 12 Goals . In this post, Mr. Ferguson listed specific goals that he would strive to fulfill in order to be a better teacher. I think that blogging these 12 goals was a fantastic idea, because throughout the school year he could look back over them to see how well he was doing in keeping those goals and also share them with other teachers. As a teacher, I think incorporating new goals at the beginning of the year would be the key to learning and growing as a teacher and also ensuring that students receive the best from you. Not only as a student but as a learner, I think having these types of goals are important. It's important in order to reach your fullest potential to consider: What am I trying to achieve? What areas do I need to work on? How can I incorporate my strengths into what I am attempting? The list could really go on according to how you view things, but I think in essence Mr. Ferguson was using these 12 goals as a measurement to see how he progresses throughout the year to ensure that he gives his students his very best! This is very essential for an educator!

A
In the second post I read, Mr. Ferguson wrote a blog entitled A Return to Imagination.  He wrote this blog after being inspired from hearing an interview on the book, The Power of Pull. The main idea of this article was to unlock the imagination. Mr. Ferguson explained that unlocking the imagination was important in learning, and without doing that, one is limited. However, when they do this, a new dimension is awakened and opened up, broadening a student's way of thinking. Of course he pointed out that students need to really use their imagination, but that teachers do as well. I completely agree! For students to use their imagination, just like math, English, writing, technological skills etc. a teacher must also be able to show them. So as "cliche" as it may sound, teacher's hold the key to unlock many imaginations that are so vital to the future. I am glad I get to be part of that. I aim to grow in unlocking my own imagination so that I can take students to another dimension of learning.

Both of the posts that I read by Mr. Ferguson definitely challenged me and taught me a lot in becoming a better student and better teacher!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment