Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blog Post 5

Welcome to the World of Podcasting! 


Before this assignment, I can honestly say that I have only listened to podcasts but never created a podcast, much less went public with one; however, my group and I will accomplish that this week. For the blog assignment this week we were given some videos, tutorials, and articles to read about podcasts on how to create podcasts, why podcasts are used in schools, how efficient they actually are, what software one needs to complete the project, and step by step tips on how to make a great podcast.
The podcasts, videos, and articles that I read were very helpful and I think that it will allow the process for a newbie such as myself to be easier.

In one of the options for our assignments I read the article by Carolyn Wood, "Learning Podcasting", which basically covered the definition of a podcast, the instruments you need to make a podcast (microphone, headset etc.), hardware you need to install such as audacity to edit your podcast, and other resources you may need to present it at it's best. She also explained audioblogging and and advertising through podcasts.

I also found some very helpful tools in the Judy Scharf podcast collection.
To get a greater understanding of how to create a podcast in a step by step format, I watched a youtube video entitled "How to Create a Podcast." This gave you visual  and actually showed you what to click on your computer to get started, how to edit the podcast, cut out background noise, how to upload the podcast, and subscribe to an RSS feed.



I also watched a video by Joe Dell called Podcasting in the Classroom. In this video many great benefits from podcasting in the classroom are discussed. Podcasting in a classroom setting as a resource for teaching is a very effective tool. Students can access the podcast anytime and anyplace. They can record the lecture and play it back for review. It also makes a lecture more vibrant if the teacher has students read with exuberance and enthusiasm the different roles of characters. It definitely enhances their learning experience. It is a relevant and new way to learn and incorporates a visual tool, in which students greatly respond to. This also helps for students who may have to be absent from school, because they can get what they missed off of the web. Parents can also stay up to date through podcasting. This allows interaction among students and engages them in a way that other resources cannot.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carrie! My name is Brooke and I am your C4C for this week! You did an excellent job with your blog assignment! I loved how you added the youtube video of "How to Create a Podcast". I just watched this video on your page, and it is very helpful for those who have never created a podcast. I also watched Podcasting in the Classroom. I really enjoyed this video. I never knew how helpful podcasting can be within a classroom. I really like this because not only can students and teachers view the podcast, but also teachers and other administrators can view what is being learned within the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to comment Brooke! I am very glad that this was a video listed because it has definitely came in handy with our recent project.
    -Carrie Tucker

    ReplyDelete